One of the great pleasures of travel is to experience the taste a lot of different national dishes. One of the favorites among our short-
A lot of people have asked for a recipe, so here is one.
Gallo Pinto Ingredients
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups cooked white rice
2 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
fresh cilantro (optional)
sliced or chopped green onions (optional)
Note that the beans and the rice should be cooked and ready before you start these steps.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until it just begins to soften and turns color.
- Add garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until onion is golden.
- Add spices and Worcestershire, and stir into onion and garlic.
- Next, add the beans and then the rice. Combine the rice and beans evenly and cook until mixture is heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
- Garnish with some chopped cilantro or green onions as you like.